Saturday, September 12, 2009

Making Grandpa Proud

My poor next door neighbor seems to get all the yucky creatures in her yard. Sadly for her she is terrified of all these creatures. She has had frogs, snakes, dead birds in her house and some other creatures. Luckily for the rest of us we have yet to see them. So the other day she asked if I had seen her latest creature. When I said "no" she told me to look under her tree. There were two baby squirrels. They had fallen from a nest in her tree. One had already passed away and the other one was barely alive but she wanted to try and save it. She called animal control, they wouldn't come. So she called a pest company and told them she would pay them to come get them...they said no. She said when her husband came home he was going to just put them in trash bags and throw them away, even the live one. She said she just wanted him to pick it up with the shovel and move it to the backyard. Now comes the part of making grandpa proud. My dad likes squirrels. He has several feeders in his yard for them so we thought we'd be doing good. So I told my neighbor "I can do that!" She thought I was kidding. She didn't think anyone in their right mind would pick these creatures up. So I grabbed my dust pan and a spatula and grabbed Diego. I knew if I chickened out, Diego would step up to the plate. I was right.
This is the dead one. They aren't very cute. They look like rats in a way.
Here is the live one. We moved him another yard where no one lived and put him under some bushes so hopefully maybe the mom would come back.
Diego wanted to keep the squirrel as a pet. Umm....No! Christian was happy to throw the dead one away.

2 comments:

East Coast Jenny said...

Ummm...gross.

Karen said...

Look at you with your dustpan and spatula! =)

I had to laugh because I knew that somewhere in that story, Diego would ask to keep it!!